1. Get a Good Toothbrush – Always choose a soft-bristled brush with a small head. A hard brush is too tough on your gums. A large head can be difficult to maneuver.
2. Buy the right toothpaste – In general, any toothpaste with fluoride will do the job. Two of the best brands we recommend are Colgate Total and Crest Pro-Health.
3. Start with a pea-sized drop of toothpaste.
4. Pick your starting area – You want to start in one area and work your way around the mouth so you don’t miss any spots. The total time you’ll be brushing is between 2 and 4 minutes
5. Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle toward the teeth and gums.
6. Gently press the toothbrush against the gums so the tips of the bristles go in between the gums and teeth.
7. Apply a few lateral strokes and roll the brush down to sweep away plaque and debris from your gum line.
8. Repeat this stroking motion 6-10 times on every 2-3 teeth.
9. When brushing the back side of your front teeth, hold the brush vertically for better reach.
10. Brush your teeth at least twice a day – after breakfast and before you go to bed. If you can squeeze in a brushing after lunch, that’s even better.
Meet us, tour the office, and get all your questions answered. You’ll even go home with a goodie bag! Call today to schedule your free consult at 434-688-0600.
At VSP Dental, you don't have to worry about missing school or work to take care of your smile. We're open all five days of week!
Monday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday: 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM